Friday, August 3, 2007

Shelves

Before - you read this be forewarned - there are no pictures of Zachio and he is not mentioned!!

This past weekend I decided to clean out my garage. It being the recipient of the vast majority of moving casualties. Which I found out that when you move from a 23oo sq foot home to a 1500 sq foot home you generate a lot of them. So I started with putting the folded up cardboard boxes in the 200 degree attic. (Whoever thinks hell is subterrain has never gone into an attic in late July in central Illinois!) After developing a thick layer of protective sweat (ewww), I started on the rest of the "moving casualties", I nicely moved everything to the three sides of the garage. The yard stuff on the left, the old furniture on the back wall and the tools on the right. On right wall of the garage I inherited shevles that were attached to the wall. Being the organized individual that I am, I stacked a lot of my tools and junk on these shelves. After a few well spent hours I was done. I walked out into my driveway looked back at the garage and was pleased. This is good, I said to myself It looked like a garage should. Crap on the sides and room for 2 cars (The observant reader will note that I only have 1 car...keep tuned - Daddio will be living up to his name Cool Daddio - before you know it) .


The next morning I am eating my breakfast (a bowl of grape nuts) and I hear a loud crash. I cautiously open the door to the garage, and to my horror see that the shelves have fallen off the wall. Not only fallen but the screws that kept them attached to the wall had been ripped out- leaving gaping holes where shelves use to be. Although everything had come crashing down – the vast majority of stuff survived. Even my gold fish bowl survived the fall. I pick every up and move it away from my truck and went to work. Great way to start a work week!




After work I went to Home Depot and bought a box of 100 lb rated draw wall anchors. I spent the next 3 hours rehanging the shelves. Even got to use my drill and laser level.! Miraculously, when all was said and done all the shelves were level and sturdy. AnI when I say sturdyI mean STURDY. In fact, next time there is a tonardo, no cellar for me- i am huddling under these shelves.

As I was marveling at my first home improvement job at my new house, it dawned on me how similar my life these shelves are (No I haven't been drinking). When everything falls down around you - you have 2 choices - bitch and moan or go to home depot, buy bigger and better dry wall anchors and build it again. Sturdier then before!

To all of you who helped with the “new shelves” - a million thanks!

No comments: