Wednesday, March 7, 2007

I wanna Puppy!

So 2 weekends ago Z and I went to the human society. It was a very eventful visit. First Z didn’t want to go into see the puppies – they were to “barky”. So instead we watched the bunnies (yes the shelter has bunnies). No offense to bunnies but they are not that exciting to watch especially when there is a room full of puppies to play with. Z was enamored with the water bottle and the gray bunny drinking out of it. After some gentle coxing Z and I finally got to go into the puppies. Unfortunately there were a lot of dogs at the shelter. I always let Z choose the dog(s) we play with. He finally decided for us to play with a smallish black lab mix named recycle. Recycle reminded me a lot of Austin – my first dog. Anyway we took him outside and ran around for awhile. Z even told me that recycle had soft hair. After running around for awhile with Recycle we headed back in and got another dog. Think it was named Neppers or something like that – a Jack Russell mix. So we took him out and played with him.

While we were playing with him, Z stepped in a puddle up to his ankles. Luckily he was wearing his boots – so his little footsies didn’t get wet. But he did manage to get stuck! Z being Z just looked up at me – not worried at all – and says – Daddy my feets not moving. I just leaned over and picked him up with the biggest grin on my face. After I pulled him out we decided to take Neppers back in.

On the way into the shelter Z manages to face plant on the sidewalk. He starts to cry instantly I go over and pick him up. He managed to bang his lip pretty good and was bleeding freely (alright gushing but I don’t want to upset anyone). Being an experienced Dad I pick him up and reassure him that he will survive (You can’t die from a bleeding lip right?). So I had Z in one hand gushing blood and Neppers leash in the other. I manage to get Z inside. The lady at the front desk takes one look at us – and shrieks “OH MY GOD!” (believe it or not it didn’t calm Z down at all). I assure her that Neppers did not attack Z, a sidewalk accident – I think I repeated that 20 times. She nicely directed me to the bathroom and handed me the first aid kit. Luckily it only took a few wet paper towels to clean Z up. So I figure that Z is done playing with dogs and start getting us ready to go back to the car. I go to put on Z’s hat and he looks up at me – “Daddy, can we play with another doggie?” My heart leap for joy (that might be a little overstated – but I was happy)!

So we went back into the kennel and Z picked out another puppy to play with. Penguin was his name – an 8 mos old black and white pitt bull mix (yes I know). I decided to stay inside so we took him to one of the “getting acquainted rooms” – little rooms you can take the dogs into and play with. In the room there were a few tennis balls and a pull toy. So I threw the ball around and Penguin played fetch like an 8 month puppy does! The next thing I know Z has taken the pull toy and given half to Penguin. And they start playing tug of war!!! Z is all smiles and giggles! After we wear all of us out, we take Penguin back to his pen.

As we are walking out of the shelter Z turns to me: “Daddy can we bring the puppy home! Please Daddy! I wanna Puppy!”. I was as happy as a clam!

This was the first time that Z had wanna to bring a puppy back from the “puppy store” as he calls it since I had to put Petey down. Needless to say it was a good day!

You check out all of the puppies here http://www.cuhumane.org/adoptions/adopt_frame.html

1 comment:

Shaila said...

I knew that he'd come around. You will have a dog again before you know it. Its so cute that you guys play with the puppies at the shelter. Shaila and I may start fostering Labs from a Lab Rescue. Should be fun! Good luck with the next puppy visit!